Rogue Speech and Debate Club
- Speech club meets Thursdays 1:10-2:40 at Capital Baptist Church, 3504 Gallows Road, Annandale, VA.
- Club meets from September through mid-April.
- Open to students ages 12-18 on October 1, 2020.
- The club helps students learn basic public speaking skills and prepares students to compete in the local tournaments.
- Rogue students must participate in the Rogue hosted Leap Year speech tournament and one other tournament. Tournament participation is essential for speaking improvement. We encourage all Rogue students to participate in all the local tournaments. Dates and locations of these tournaments will be announced as soon as possible. Rogue affiliates with Stoa, a national homeschool speech and debate league, and conducts its tournaments according to Stoa rules. Students have the opportunity to compete and earn a slot to the national competition in 11 competitive speech events in four broad categories:
- Limited Preparation
- Wild Card
- Extemp requires a software program that allows students to access news articles without the use of the internet–extempgenie.com
- All speeches will be practiced during breakout rooms but all preparation for the limited prep events, platform, and interpretive events must be done at home.
- Junior Speech for siblings ages 7-11. Juniors will have 3 opportunities to compete in C4 hosted tournaments at Capital Baptist Church.
- Childcare for infants through 6
*All new debate students are required to attend debate camp. It is free for Rogue students. Camp dates this year are TBD from 9:00-4:00 at St.George United Methodist Church, 4910 Ox Road, Fairfax, VA 22030.
Team Policy (TP) Debate
- TP Debate meets Thursdays 2:45-4:15.
- Open to students ages 12-18 by October 1, 2020.
- TP debate students compete in teams of two, and they propose and argue against specific policy changes. The 2019-20 resolution will be announced in May at Stoausa.org
Lincoln Douglas (LD) Debate
- LD Debate meets Thursdays 2:45-4:15
- Open to students ages 12-18 by October 1, 2020
- LD is one on one debate. The debate centers around values where the debaters will be examining competing value systems to answer big questions. The 2020-2021 resolution will be announced in May at Stoausa.org
Parliamentary (Parli) Debate
Rogue does not offer formal parli coaching at this time, but students will be informed of local tournaments and may choose to participate.
- Open to students ages 16-18 by October 1, 2020 or students currently in high school with at least one year of LD or TP debate experience.
- Parli debate students compete in teams of two, and the resolution changes every round.
- If an alumni coach is hired, there may be an additional coaches’ fee assessed.